Sunday, April 23 at 9:30am to 2:00pm
Sunnylands Center & Gardens
37977 Bob Hope Drive, Rancho Mirage, CA 92270
The public is invited to Sunnylands Center & Gardens for “Family Day: In the Gardens,” a day of free activities and displays focusing on desert critters, birds, and flowers from 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Sunday, April 23.
Our two-page Family Garden Guide provides at-a-glance information on birds and plants in the Sunnylands Gardens, nine acres of desert landscaping that was inspired by Vincent van Gogh’s Impressionist painting, Olive Trees, and features more than 70 species of native and arid-adapted plants and 1.25 miles of walking paths.
On Family Day, birding expert Phil Parker will lead hour-long Family Bird Walks in the Gardens at 9:30 a.m. and 11 a.m.
Other activities include:
• Botanical drawing for children and adults with Tania Maren, founding editor of the web site, Art Plantae.
• Monarch butterfly, insect, desert critter and bird exploration stations.
• Craft flowers using recyclable materials with the S.C.R.A.P. Gallery’s Karen Reilly.
• Taking a self-guided audio tour of the Gardens.
• Making paper lanterns in the Center.
• Playing with toys and games on the Great Lawn.
• Relaxing with Time-out Totes, bags stuffed with blankets and activity and reading books.